Today I ran the Lake Run - the feature event of Bloomington-Normal's Lake Run Club. The race is one lap around Lake Bloomington, which makes it 12k (7.44 miles). Despite living here for about 5 years, I have never seen Lake Bloomington and it was pretty nice. It is a weird setting though - the lake itself has a vacation home feel to it, though most of the houses are ridiculously expensive. But once you leave the roads around the lake, you're back in cornfields - just a bit weird.
Anyway, while the temperature was about perfect (50 degrees), the wind was pretty fierce. The race started with the wind at my back, going downhill - this wasn't so bad. Then around mile 5, I turned a corner that wasn't blocked by the big trees around the lake - acres of open cornfields. The wind pushed in your face for the next two miles. What made it worse is that this was the uphill portion of the race. Late in the race, uphill, into the 30 mph wind - not a good combo.
I fought through pretty well and was pretty happy with my time - unofficially at 1:06:00 (about 8:53 / mile). Next, I run a 10k near my sister's house on Memorial Day.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment